I turned 44 yesterday, we are in the middle of a pandemic, and I was unable to celebrate with anyone. Now, over Christmas, I made a giant gob of marzipan, because I was going to decorate the heck out of some cupcakes. Sadly, with all the other baking I did, I never got around to making anything with the marzipan.
Well, I love marzipan, and I love chocolate, and I deserve a little spark of yum while I fight breast cancer in the middle of a pandemic. I’ve gotta tell you, I make a helluva brownie. Pardon the pictures, I have crappy lighting in the house at night.
I have included all 3 recipes in this post, so you don’t need to jump the other 2 to new tabs if you don’t want to.
Tell me how yours turned out in the comments below, and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram shots!
- 2/3 C All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Large Eggs lightly whisked
- 3 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 3 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1/2 C. Butter chopped or grated
- 1/2 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 C. Brown Sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Almond Extract
- Marzipan Almond Paste works too
- Chocolate Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Lightly oil and flour 8x8 pan
- Sift flour, cocoa, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter together. Remove from heat source.
- Whisk in sugars until dissolved.
- Slowly combine eggs, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Fold in flour mixture until just moistened.
- Pour into pan, and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Sprinkle flat surface with powdered sugar.
- Roll marzipan into 8x8 square, about 1/8" thick.
- Place on top of cooled brownies.
- Make glaze, and pour over marzipan.
- Dough Hook
- Waxed Paper
- 8 oz. Almond Paste
- 1 1/2 C. Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1/4 C. Light Corn Syrup
- Combine almond paste and corn syrup in mixing bowl.
- Mix on low speed until a paste is formed.
- Add 1/2 of the powdered sugar.
- Scrape sides of bowl and turn on to a surface sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Knead in the rest of the sugar to form a smooth dough.
- 6 oz. Chocolate Bitter, Unsweetened, Semi-Sweet, Milk, White, or Dark Chocolate
- 4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- Prepare double boiler, or microwave safe bowl.
- Chop or grate butter, and place in double boiler or bowl.
- Chop or grate chocolate, and place in double boiler or bowl.
- If using a double boiler, stir until chocolate is melted.
- If using the microwave, microwave in 20-second increments, stirring after each time.
- Once it's all melted and combined, pour over dessert of your choice.