I made these by accident, and was on the verge of scrambling the egg and having to start over. I just wanted to see what would happen if I made a custard and then turned it into brownies. I was pleasantly surprised, and these are the best brownies I have ever made.
There are 2 keys to acing this recipe. The first is, make sure you’re not still on the hot burner when you’re adding the eggs, and as with all brownies, just mix it by hand. Brownies work best when you just get the ingredients combined and don’t over-mix them. It’s why I never use a mixer when I make them.
These are dense and chewy, but don’t be expecting a fudge-like texture. It’s much lighter than that.
I hope you enjoy them, and don’t forget to tag me in those instagrams!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosures for more information.
Chewy Custard Brownies
- Heat oven to 350°
- Grease and flour 8x12 pan
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat
- When butter is melted, remove from heat and immediately add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly each time. It should resemble vanilla pudding.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla until combined
- Add cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder one at a time until just-wet
- Pour into pan and bake 25 minutes
- Let cool before serving