My friend Kat posted Smitten Kitchen’s 44 Clove Garlic Soup recipe in our Discord chat the other day, and I had to try it. I didn’t even wait a day to run out to the grocery store and grab garlic. Then I got home and figured out I didn’t have enough onion, and not the right kind of onion, but since we’re in a pandemic, someone bought all the onions. And potatoes, which would be an amazing addition to this soup as well.
I asked Kat if she thought I could use green onion instead, and she said I could try it with leeks too, and I did that exact thing, because nobody eats leeks. They don’t know how to use them. Except that I do, and so I ran out the very next morning to grab leeks. And bacon, because I am an omnivore. Kat is vegetarian, and this one can become vegetarian if you leave out the bacon of course. Let me know what you think of this version of 44 Clove Garlic Soup the comments.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosures for more information.
44 Clove Garlic Soup w/ Leeks & Bacon
- 44 garlic cloves - 26 unpeeled 18 peeled
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 1/4 cups sliced leeks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices of cooked bacon
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put 26 unpeeled garlic cloves in small glass baking dish, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper; toss to coat.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake about 45 minutes, until garlic is tender and golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Peel cloves and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add leeks and thyme and cook until leeks are translucent, 6-8 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves; 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock; bring to boil, cover, reduce to simmer, until garlic is tender- about 20 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender, 2 ladles at a time, until smooth and set aside.
- After soup i s pureed smooth, put it back in the pan, whisk in heavy whipping cream and bring back to simmer.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide parmesan cheese and cooked bacon among 4 bowls.
- Ladle soup on top.
- Squeeze 1 lemon wedge into each bowl.